Skip to main content

tv   Anderson Cooper 360  CNN  May 15, 2010 1:00am-2:00am EDT

1:00 am
we're very excited. and glad to see you so healthy. >> thanks, jeff. appreciate it. "anderson cooper 360" starts right now. hey, thank you very much. thank you very much. thanks. thank you very much. welcome, everyone. thanks for joining us. welcome to 360 friday. kind of a late-night edition of 360. this is not oprah, no one's going to get a car, sadly. i pol jids for that. i know, very sad. we're going to be talking about the biggest stories of the day with actor, author, comedian john goisamo here. we also have actress, playwright and pulitzer prize nominee here with us. first, the big topic tonight. what do your kids think about race?
1:01 am
what do your kids think about skin color? i know a lot of parents like to think, my child doesn't see race, i don't see race, everybody's the same. that certainly sounds good, but is that really true. take a look at the images behind me. which of these is the dumb child? which of these is the ugly hild? which of these is the smart child? i know the questions are unfair, and they're uncomfortable. and you're probably saying, i can't answer that question. the images are all identical other than the skin color. but if you show these pictures to kids and ask them those questions, they answer and they answer quickly. take a look. >> show me the ugly child. why is she the ugly child? >> because she's like a lot darker. >> show me the good looking child. and why is she the good looking child?
1:02 am
>> because she has light skin. >> show me the good child. >> this one. >> why is he the good child? >> he looks good. >> show me the child who has the skin color most children don't like. >> pretty striking stuff. this is all part of a pilot study that we commissioned designed, and the results analyzed by a renowned child researcher. she's with us in the audience tonight. she's a leader in the field. she'll be joining the discussion a little bit later. spencer's team tested 130 kids in eight different schools, half in the north, half in the south. now, the schools had very specific and very different racial and economic demographics. there were two different ages of kids tested. 4 and 5-year-olds and 9 and 10-year-olds. and two races, african-american and white. now, this was first done in a series, a very famous doll test from the 1940s. two psychologists named kenneth and maime clark pioneered a study in schools by asking african-american kids to choose
1:03 am
between black and white dolls. what's interesting is they found the majority of black kids preferred to play with white dolls, and that the kids considered white, the nice color, but that the black doll looked bad. so those results were the center of a landmark 1954 supreme court case, which you've all heard about, brown versus the board of education which deseg gri gated america's schools. nearly 60 years after desegregation, we want to know has anything really changed. how do kids see race today. how do your kids see race. unlike the original study that only tested black kids, we tested black and white kids, we're going to show you the results in a moment. but first, we want to introduce our panel. donna brazille is here. donna, welcome. >> good to see you. >> thank you.
1:04 am
have a seat. also joining us is the author of a best-seller. welcome. thanks so much, have a seat. so there are -- there are basically three main findings from this study that we did. what kind of bias white kids have, what kind of bias black kids have and what impact parents have on kids' bias. we found white kids as a whole responded with a high rate of what researchers called white bias, which is identifying their own skin with positive attributes and black skin with negative attributes. >> show me the dumb child. >> dumb child? >> why is she the dumb child? >> because she has black skin. >> okay. show me the bad child. why is he the bad child? >> because he's dark. >> show me the dumb child. why is she the dumb child? >> because she looks black
1:05 am
black. >> show me the good child. why is she the good child? >> because she looks whiter. >> show me the child you would like to have as a classmate. why would you like to have him as a classmate? >> because he's white. >> show me the child that has the skin color most adults like. and show me the child who has the skin color most adults don't like. >> donna, you saw you shaking your head when you were watching that. >> anderson, i believe we're shaped by experience. we are shaped by the cultural factors that are presented to us at a very early age. i grew up in the segregated deep south. the only white people i came in contact with was the mailman, showed up every day, six days a week, and the people i saw on television. they were all white. we didn't see and get a chance
1:06 am
to interact with white people. >> did it surprise you to see, i mean, little kids, 5-year-old kids so quickly pointing to the dark skin color as the ugly child, or the -- >> no, i'm not surprised. every day, they are watching television. they are walking to school. hanging out with their parents and their friends. and they don't interact with black people. they don't interact with black children. and the perception of black people, hispanics, others, it's negative. it's always negative. >> a lot of these go to racially diverse schools. i want to read some of the results of this. 5-year-old white kids when asked to point to the dumb child, 77% of them pointed to the two
1:07 am
darkest skin child. when asked to the mean child, 66% pointed to the dark child. and 66% pointed to the darker skinned. not to demonize any child. we saw this across the board. why is this happening? >> just so you know, there are many studies from dr. spencer's laboratory and all the proteges that confirm the studies. it's confirming. and i have seen the data three years in studying this. to watch the videotapes right now tonight is heartbreaking to see this stuff. we thought that sending kids just to diverse schools might be the answer. it's not the only answer. because within diverse schools, kids are self-segregating. work by james university at duke university looking at 90,000 kids, 120 representative schools showed as school diversity went up, self-segregation was also going up.
1:08 am
the crucial variable here is what parents say to their kids. white kids can grow up and they can grow up whether they're exposed to other black kids and other black families or not, all kids are getting mixed messages. the question is, how do parents counteract the messages. >> you said that the kids in the study were, i want to get the quote right, were mirroring the unfinished business of adults. what did you mean? >> what i meant is kids are basically like sponges. they're like mirrors on what they're exposed to. so what they see and what they're exposed to, they simply represent. and the fact that younger children are 4-year-olds and kindergarten children, are also what we call sort of normally self-centered. you know, they just think about how they feel, and what they experience. and they share it in the sense with the mentor asking the questions of them. this is what you have here in terms of -- you notice, the animated responses. you ask children questions and they're excited to give you answers, in terms of what they're exposed to. >> when we come back, i want to show you the findings of when we asked the same question to african-american kids, how it compares to the answers of the study back in the '40s. we'll be right back.
1:09 am
hey, pete. yeah, it's me, big brother. put the remote down and listen.
1:10 am
this intervention brought to you by niaspan. so you cut back on the cheeseburgers and stopped using your exercise bike as a coat rack. that's it? you're done? i don't think so. you told me your doctor's worried about plaque clogging your arteries - what did he call it...coronary artery disease. that cholesterol medicine he also wants you on - niaspan? i looked it up online. hey, pete, you waiting for an engraved invitation? if you have high cholesterol and coronary artery disease, and diet and exercise are not enough, niaspan, along with diet and a bile acid-binding resin, is fda-approved not only to slow down plaque buildup but to actually help clear some of it away. pete, as kids, i always looked up to you. now, i'm just trying to look after you. if you cannot afford your medication, call 1-877-niaspan. niaspan is not for everyone, like people with stomach ulcers, liver, or serious bleeding problems. severe liver damage can occur when switching to niaspan from immediate-release niacin.
1:11 am
blood tests are needed to check for liver problems. tell your doctor if you have muscle pain or weakness; this could be a sign of serious side effects; this risk can increase with statin use. tell your doctor about alcohol use, if you've ever had gout, or are diabetic and experience increases in blood sugar. flushing, a common side effect, is warmth, redness, itching, or tingling of the skin. ask your doctor about niaspan. fight back. fight plaque. welcome back to 360 friday. donna brazile has been saucy during the break. before the break we showed you how white kids had as a whole what researchers call white
1:12 am
bias, that they had more positive things to say about their own skin color but more negative things to say about dark skin. >> show me the ugly child. and why is she the ugly child? >> because she's black. >> show me the good looking child. and why is she the good looking child? >> because she's light-skinned. >> show me the skin color you believe most teachers think look bad on a girl? >> i don't think they think it matters. >> you don't think it matters? >> i think it doesn't matter what you look like on the outside. it matters what you look like on the inside.
1:13 am
>> can you show me the child that has your skin color? >> that one. >> okay. show me the child that has the skin color you want. >> that one. >> okay. show me the child who has the skin color you don't want. show me the child you would like as a classmate. >> all of them. >> you like all of them as classmates? >> mm-hmm. >> why do you say all of them? >> because i don't really care what color they have. >> it's interesting. that brings us to the second big finding from the survey that black kids also have a bias toward white, but much less so than white kids. the research suggests black kids have come a long way from the original test when they overwhelmingly chose white over black. the pilot study was designed by child psychologist professor margaret spencer. and po bronson. donna, what do you make of that? that black kids still have sfg of a white bias? >> again, it wasn't surprising, but a little shocking. given, again, the innate
1:14 am
cultural factors that kids grew up with. again, i go back to my years of the paperback test. anderson, i knew as a kid that i was black. often my grandmother would tell me, don't go outside, because you'll get black on -- well, i'm black. they were afraid i would become too black. >> the paper bag test -- >> some blacks could not get into nightclubs because they were too dark. the light erskine, yellow, cream, they had -- we knew they had better advantages than darker skinned black people. we knew that at an early age. >> there has been, it seems, progress. >> there are other studies on biracial and mixed racial kids as well. it shows that sometimes they are doing just fine. and they can pick the best of both worlds. but many of them feel caught in a double bind. as long as they're in an integrated environment, they are fine. but if they're in a mostly white or mostly black environment, they feel pressured to be not white enough or black enough. this isn't a problem, it doesn't affect those kids as well. >> there were some african-american kids who answer with what researchers called a more afro centric bias. >> show me the smart child.
1:15 am
and why is he the smart child? >> because he's black. >> show me the good looking child. and why is he the good looking child? >> because he's black. >> and show me the child that has the skin color most children don't like. show me the child you would like as a classmate. >> this one. >> why would you like her as a classmate? >> because i like her color. >> and show me the child who has the skin color most adults don't like. >> dr. spencer, why didn't we see more black kids with black-leaning bias? >> because as donna shared, black children are exposed to the same bias that whild
1:16 am
children are exposed to in our society. and parents differ themselves on the time available to engage in cultural socialization. to engage in activities that help to offset the stereotypes that children are exposed to in this country. this is a test that white parents don't have. parents focus on skill acquisition, cultural exposure. but black parents always have to be engaged and wedging or offsetting the negative stereotyping that their youngsters are exposed to. and obviously there are differences in availability of time to engage in that activity. >> we'll talk about what parents are talking to their kids about, and should they talk to their kids more about race in the next segment. when you see a young boy kid pointing to the darker-skinned dolls as the dumb child, is that racism, or is that just a child identifying with his own skin
1:17 am
color and putting attributes onto his own skin color, which is probably a natural inclination? >> it could be racism, it could be an innocent observation a child is making. because of what happened in school that particular day. but there is a trait, a process called essentialism. where children naturally want to categorize the world and they tend to make this wrong assumption that people who look like them share the same traits they like, and, therefore, they want to like people who look like them. they could use skin color or gender or height or shirt color. this is one of, but not the only factor that's contributing. >> that's the same reason, or one of the reasons that even in a diverse school, kids kind of self-segregate? >> the problem with self-segregation as kids get older is very different. it's very complex. it is something, though, that we
1:18 am
shouldn't tolerate. just sending our kids to diverse schools is not alone the answer. we must stop letting them self-segregate. >> where are the kids getting these ideas from, getting these messages from, we'll talk to their parents. some are actually stunned by seeing their kids take this test. we'll also talk later on about arizona, the birthers, the oil spill. we've got john leguizamo and mary matalin. we'll be right back. than any other luxury manufacturer the last 10 years says something. yet, the award we value most is the fact that lexus has had more repeat, loyal drivers, in more of the last 10 years, than any other luxury automotive brand. to express our thanks, we're featuring our best values of the year. giving you unprecedented access to lexus. at your lexus dealer. we tag it... so you can cut it... till it... dig it... and haul it. ♪ just don't miss it. the best deals of the season end soon. and there's only one place to find them. so visit your john deere dealer today.
1:19 am
get up to $800 off select john deere equipment at this month's green tag event. visit johndeere.com/greentagevent to find an event near you. and at holiday inn express, you always can. holiday inn express. stay you. and stay rewarded with the hit it big promotion-- earn up to $500 dollars at over 300 retailers.
1:20 am
1:21 am
welcome back to 360 friday. we're talking about a study that we commissioned, a pilot study that reveals what white and black kids think about skin color and race and what they think about themselves. white kids as a whole responded with a high rate of what researchers called white bias, which is identifying their own skin color with positive attributes and black skin with negative attributes. black kids also have a white bias, but not to the degree of other studies have shown in decades past. we wanted to know about the parents, how do they factor into their kids' racial bias and what do they think about their kids' answers. they found white parents talk to
1:22 am
their kids much less about race than black parents do, and there are consequences for that. we got parents together and had them watch their kids take the test. take a look. >> show me the dumb child. why is he the dumb child? >> because he's really black. >> okay. show me the nice child. why is he the nice child? >> because he's the whitest. >> show me the mean child. why is he the mean child? >> because he's darker than these. >> okay. >> it's disappointing. i should be disappointed. i mean, it makes me think i need to be doing a better job at home. i need to teach him, you know --
1:23 am
it's really upsetting. i spent 15 years as a teacher trying to teach first graders about all different societies and cultures. and racism. and here's my own child, his finger went so quick to the white side. it's fascinating. >> she was definitely upset. joining us is child psychologist dr. margaret beale spencer. what about that? it seems white parents don't talk to their kids as much about race. people want to believe we live in a color-blind society. race is a topic that makes people uncomfortable. >> and they want to give their kids this post-racial future when they're very young, and they're under the wrong conclusion that their kids are color-blind. clearly that mother's child was not. 75% of white parents are supposedly never, or almost never talk about race. they think they talk about race because they say god made us all the same. kids don't understand this message. the science is clear it works best when it's overt, means risking talking about skin color and diffusing the skin color.
1:24 am
>> how do you talk about skin color? >> say to children from the time that they're 1 or 2 years old -- >> that young? >> in african-american families they would start talking to kids when they're 6 months old or 9 months old. >> i look at my brothers and sisters with their children, they talk about race, but it's positive and reinforces them. it takes away some of the stigma, so that they can go out there with their heads up high and don't feel because of the color of their skin they'll confront any different challenges. i think we need a different vocabulary, a way to talk about race so we don't create more drama and tension. we need a way to heal the racial divide and give parents a way to make their children feel good about themselves regardless of the color of their skin. >> i want to show you one african-american child, her answers, and what her parent thought of it. take a look. >> show me the skin color you want as your own. >> i like the way i am. >> and show me the skin color
1:25 am
you believe most teachers think looks bad on a girl. >> i don't think they think it matters. >> you don't think it matters? >> like it doesn't matter what you look like on the outside t just matters what you look like on the inside. >> she's my child. ive think, you know, her answer is try of what we instill in both of them. you know, it's unfortunate you cannot just not accept that race is a factor in all of our lives. but, you know, you try to raise your kids as best as you can, to overcome those obstacles and do the best as they can as individuals. >> dr. spencer, you were saying it's not just for parents to talk to their kids about race, but also through actions. >> absolutely. i think that -- in families, it's easier to talk about issues of gender. so on the one hand, you notice
1:26 am
that, you know, white parents and, you know, black parents can talk about gender very easily in terms of reading a children's book to a child, and the parent can say, oh, look, this author, he doesn't know that girls can be doctors, too. and this book only shows boys as doctors. so there are lots of, you know, images that confuse possible roles that are in children's books that parents engage in. that discussion of unpacking. but when it comes to race, there's an uncomfortable about race and color in this country. which means that parents need to prepare to discuss issues of race. they must be prepared to live in a way that always communicates their values. because otherwise, these are subtleties, and people will miss them. >> logistically, what does that mean? if you send your child to a school that's racially and ethnically diverse, what must you do? >> you must also tell them, we do not choose friends on the
1:27 am
basis of their skin color. >> and you need to have friends over to the house to show that message to them, not just enough to say, we have friends -- >> and help facilitate that as well. >> it's a fascinating discussion. we'll have more of it on 360 next week. i want to thank dr. margaret beale spencer, thank you very much. and donna brazile, and po bronson. smart talk about serious subjects. arizona's immigration law, the birthers are back, the oil spill in the gulf of mexico. we're also going to ask them about this -- kevin, have you seen this video? >> not yet, coop. >> it's kind of -- i think it's really creepy. 7-year-old girls grinding and dancing. sfx: coin drop
1:28 am
want to hear how more families are saving money, saving time and saving for the future? it's regions lifegreen checking and savings. these accounts come with a personal savings review, up to a $250 annual savings account bonus, and free online and mobile banking for simple and safe banking anytime, anywhere. just drop by or visit regions.com/open to open your accounts, and get into the rhythm of saving. reons it's time to expect more.
1:29 am
we're going to be getting back to 360 friday in just a moment. first, important stories we're following for you tonight. bp is going to make another attempt to stop the oil from flowing into the gulf of mexico. in the next day, the company is going to try to insert a tube into a ruptured pipe. look at these pictures. the hope is that it will somehow send the oil to a ship instead of obviously spilling all over the gulf. europe's economic woes continue to hammer wall street. down 163 points. a glimmer of good news, gold for a time, it hit a record high today. and a picture-perfect launch today for the space shuttle "atlantis." "atlantis" and the six astronauts are going to bring equipment to the international space station. this is the shuttle's final planned mission. i'm rick sanchez. 360 friday continues after the break.
1:30 am
gecko: uh, you wanted to see me sir? boss: come on in, i had some other things you can tell people about geico - great claims service and a 97% customer satisfaction rate. show people really trust us. gecko: yeah right, that makes sense. boss: trust is key when talking about geico. you gotta feel it. why don't you and i practice that with a little exercise where i fall backwards and you catch me. gecko: uh no sir, honestly... uh...i don't think...uh... boss: no, no. we can do this. gecko: oh dear. vo: geico. fifteen minutes could save you 15% or more on car insurance.
1:31 am
1:32 am
welcome back to "360 friday." a lot to talk about in the news. you know what's going on in arizona, the boycott over the immigration law. the oil spill, pretty unbelievable. nobody really seems to have any idea how to stop it. they're talking about plugging it with old tires.
1:33 am
we have the birthers. actor, author, comedian john leguizamo. and he'll be touring the country this summer. john, thanks for being with us. >> thanks for being here. got lots to say. >> extraordinary actress, playwright, her show starts later this year, and starring o showtime. anna deveare smith won an award which means she rarely appears on cable tv news shows. our third guest, a political analyst and co-host of both sides now, a nationally syndicated radio show, the wonderful mary matalin. okay. i want to start off with arizona. city council members in los
1:34 am
angeles have now voted to boycott the state, to ban government travel to the state. one councilman actually said that what's happening in arizona, equivalent to the beginnings of what happened in nazi germany, as well as the internment of japanese-americans during world war ii. >> a lot of latin comedians and performers are not going to perform in arizona. which is tough. because that's a big -- [ applause ] you want to make money? >> are you sure this isn't by george lopez to corner the latino market in arizona? >> john, you don't go there. meanwhile, cha-ching. no, i mean, yeah, that's a big audience for me, too. there's a lot of latin people and native americans there that are my fan base. >> won't that hurt latinos in the state? >> it does. but how do you send a message to arizona and to other states to stop this none shens?
1:35 am
i mean, we're big asset to this country. >> people of color and caucasians, their view often of the police is radically different. >> white friends of mine have told me they think the cop is there to help them. and often african-american and other colored people feel endangered. i want to say two things that sort of tie together this notion of comedians, and also the idea of what the cops will or won't do. you know, in a way, arizona doesn't need comics right now. because the best comedian in the country is sheriff joe arpaio, right? so sheriff joe has tent city, which is -- everyone is in the heat of arizona in a tent, segregates from the illegal immigrants from the others. there's a great big sign over the jail that says vacancies. he puts people in black and white prisoner costumes, paraded around so-called illegal immigrants, a parade. makes men wear pink underwear. so he has a posse, seriously,
1:36 am
you know, grabs people, throws them down, roundups, so the problem i see is that these theatrical kinds of behaviors are now validated by the law. and even though they're law-abiding police officers, right? sensible police officers, it also validates the behavior of the kinds of militiamen who are sitting on the border in lawn chairs with guns and binoculars. it's inflammatory. >> there's a problem with illegal immigration. >> you've been on the border. i have hitched a ride with border police. this is a federal failure of over three decades, where a rancher whose family had been ranching there, since 1907, was murdered on his own land, when
1:37 am
the incidence of kidnapping in phoenix is the highest in the country. so here's a larger problem. >> but who discovered this country? the spanish people. who did we discover? ourselves, because we're all american. and then the mexicans, and destiny came to texas, nevada, a spanish name, arizona, which means dry zone. >> so what's your point, john? i mean, i came, i came second generation. everybody in this country is an immigrant. >> the latin people and native american people, because we're all part of -- >> doesn't this allow -- >> we're the ones that keep this country going. the illegal aliens are working in the worst jobs that no american wants. >> that's right. this is a form of -- >> we're in a recession because of this very illegal system. >> these immigrants, these illegals are living in squalor. they're doing jobs that are insecure. they can be left -- >> they keep the economy going. >> that's not right. that is absolutely not right.
1:38 am
we shouldn't force workplace, at the workplace. that would stop it. we should secure the borders. so much about this in your earlier conversation, you're hearing not what i'm -- this is not a criticism. it's not what people are saying, it's what you're hearing. i learned this from my friends of color, from donna, and roland and everybody. you have a preexisting notion, and you've said it, too, that black people are more afraid of police and white people think they're there to help you. there's some way we have to have a different conversation here. watching those kids breaks your heart. you're listening to me thinking, she's an anti-immigrant bigot. no, i'm not. help me help us have this conversation where we're acknowledging this human trafficking at the border and the drug thugs and murders. and we are an immigrant country. my people came here from the old country, both sides. learned english and all the rest of it. there's something wrong in the conversation that we go as
1:39 am
quickly as we do to not hearing -- i'm not trying to be a goo goo about this. >> i know what you mean. and i think that it's all disturbing that this particular bill right at the heels of it, we have another law which is going to possibly prohibit ethnic studies. i'm not sure to what extent. certainly in some public schools in arizona. and the fact that that has happened is very, very destructive. with the argument that it separates people. and really, the goal of ethnic studies was to enrich the american narrative. so that we could -- [ applause ] >> we've got to take a break. we'll have more on the oil spill coming um. also this video a lot of folks are talking about around the country, 7-year-old girls dancing and grinding to "single ladies."
1:40 am
but, i'm a home. i'm always outside. i make being inside possible. look, do me a favor. get flood insurance. floods can devastate your home. fred, how you doing over there? i think this is gonna be a problem. see what i mean? hey, i know what i'm talking about. because i'm a home people. and, there's no place like me. [ female announcer ] only flood insurance covers floods. for a free brochure, call the number on your screen.
1:41 am
the perfect drive. (swoosh sound) or the encore, after the encore. never miss a single moment. the ultimate expression of discerning taste, is moderation. grey goose encourages you to sip responsibly. and at holiday inn, you always can. holiday inn. stay you. and stay rewarded with the hit it big promotion-- earn up to five hundred dollars at over three hundred retailers.
1:42 am
and stay rewarded with the hit it big promotion-- hey there, this is your lamp. why don't you show the lady how romantic you can be by turning me off? you'll set the mood while using a lot less energy. maybe later you can hook me up with a cfl. it will show how much you care for the environment.
1:43 am
[announcer] learn to speak the language of energy efficiency at bgesmartenergy.com, where you'll find plenty of energy-saving tips. ahhhhh. the passion. welcome back. after the disaster in the gulf of mexico, bp cannot stop the leak. as i said earlier, they're talking about trying to plug it up with old tires, golf balls. let's bring back john leguizamo and mary matalin. and moving on. i think we're all on agreement -- >> yeah, he was born here. >> mary, you live in new orleans. >> the whole town's atwitter. anderson's coming down to do a speech. [ applause ] >> yeah. >> brand-new speech.
1:44 am
>> that's the sad part, i have to write a brand-new speech. should this be a wakeup call that stops offshore drilling? >> it's going to stop it, because even people who are for it, every one of the members of the louisiana delegation are saying, whoa. because it's clear there was no -- they didn't know the pressure that was -- why they're doing this junk shot is -- >> the junk shot is literally golf balls. a joke. >> the pressure was such that they didn't anticipate, that it blew cement. i don't know how it blows cement and mud out. that it's going to be stopped by golf balls. >> bp didn't have a plan for this, nor government oversight. >> the government oversight which has been in place, on the books for decades, is not enforced. how is that enforcement? and i'm sure we'll figure out a way in this conversation to blame bush. >> halliburton was a part of it. you knew what i was going to say. who was behind the drilling halliburton. what a surprise.
1:45 am
who sanctioned it? bush. another surprise. >> and who's been in office for a third of his term and gave the permit with no environmental impact study to this particular rig? >> not bush, would it? >> no, it would be president obama in this case. >> where do you draw it? >> i drive a bicycle. that's right. i'm saving enough money for you and your kids. i drive a hybrid. a toyota. i know. i'd rather buy american. >> have you checked the brakes? >> i made it here. i really fastened myself in and i drive with a pillow. >> i wanted to talk about this video that a lot of folks around this country, it's gotten hundreds of thousands of hits on youtube. these 7-year-old girls, like grinding away to beyonce's "single ladies." take a look at this thing. it's a dance competition. ♪
1:46 am
>> what do you make of that? john, you're a parent. >> well, i don't know who those parents are, but they should be slapped. it's ridiculous. if my daughter, she's going to be in a burka. i mean, that's -- that's -- [ applause ] i mean, to sexualize -- the kids aren't doing any physical moves that are really, you know, suggestive. but how do you put a kid in a g-string? >> dr. spencer alludes to this problem in the earlier segment that you just had. the children are incredible mimics. they're going to do what they see. when i see them reproduce those moves, it's like, why not have them reproduce something good. >> they're clearly talented, it's not a question of that. >> i don't think it's the moves, but how do you dress your child, a 7-year-old child in that suggestive outfit? >> it's very similar to the jonbenet ramsey, the little beauty package enter that dance
1:47 am
to "let's get physical." >> but you're the one who's sexualizing -- >> to that point, i showed the thing to my girls, one's 12, one's 14. their response was, those outfits, that's an insult to beyonce, who is their hero. look how cool her outfit is. they thought it was tacky. but they're old enough to understand it, but they were insulted because they think that song is about cool, you're going to marry me. they didn't think it was about sex. they said, this is an insult to the empowerment of women. they went right to the feminist point. >> when we come back, we're going to test everybody's news knowledge, how much you've been following the news of the week. as we go to break, i want to show you the 360 crew a couple months ago, they taped their own "single ladies" version. [ male announcer ] parents magazine and edmunds.com
1:48 am
called it "one of the best family cars of 2009." the insurance institute for highway safety calls it a 2010 top safety pick. with automatic crash response from onstar that can call for help, even when you can't. we call it peace of mind. a consumers digest best buy two years in a row, chevy malibu. what is ipad? may the best ca ipad is thin. ipad is beautiful. ipad goes anywhere and lasts all day. there's no right way or wrong way. it's crazy powerful. it's magical. you already know how to use it. it's 200,000 apps...and counting. all the world's websites in your hands. it's video, photos, more books than you could read in a lifetime. it's already a revolution and it's only just begun.
1:49 am
if you have high cholesterol, high blood pressure or diabetes, you may also have very high triglycerides -- too much fat in the blood. it's a serious medical condition. lovaza, along with diet, effectively lowers very high triglycerides in adults but has not been shown to prevent heart attacks or strokes. lovaza starts with omega-3 fish oil that's then purified and concentrated. it's the only omega-3 medication that's fda-approved. you can't get it at a health food store. lovaza isn't right for everyone. tell your doctor if you're allergic to fish, have other medical conditions and about any medications you're taking, especially those that may increase risk of bleeding. blood tests are needed before and during treatment. in some, ldl or bad cholesterol may increase. possible side effects include burping, infection, flu-like symptoms, upset stomach, and change in sense of taste. ask your doctor about lovaza, the prescription that starts in the sea.
1:50 am
we tag it... so you can cut it... till it... dig it... and haul it. ♪ just don't miss it. the best deals of the season end soon. and there's only one place to find them. so visit your john deere dealer today. get up to $800 off select john deere equipment at this month's green tag event. visit johndeere.com/greentagevent to find an event near you.
1:51 am
> all right. before we end the show, we want to test everyone's news knowledge, how closely you've been following the news this week. the 360 challenge. anna deveare smith is glaring at me right now. >> i'm not. >> a series of multiple choice answers. so the goal is to win and crush your colleagues at the same time while doing it. >> that's not fair. she's a genius. >> i know, she's a macarthur grant winner. i was on "jeopardy!" recently and i lost to cheech marin. so you never know. >> so i'm doomed? is that what you're saying? >> i thought he wouldn't have any synapses left. but apparently he does. let's get started. here we go. write your answers on the little board. jack gray is going to be playing
1:52 am
along. the producer here. here's the question. an out-of-control satellite that broke loose from its orbit may threaten, multiple choice answers. a, the international space station, b, cable tv programming, c, wireless communications, or d, snookie's boot. feel free to write your answers on the board. there is a time limit. we've passed it. >> cable tv? >> any ideas? all right. somebody write something. this is like "jeopardy!" on "saturday night live." no celebrity writes anything. john, what is your answer? >> all right. this may not be the right answer -- >> you say it's a, the international space station. anna? >> c, wireless communications. mary matalin, you say a. jack, what do you say? >> i say wolf blitzer's beard. >> all right.
1:53 am
the answer is cable tv programming. >> oh! >> wow. this really is going to be like "jeopardy!" on "saturday night live." >> how do we know that's the right answer? >> we don't. >> we're the most trusted name in news. delta airlines lost a man's dog this week. what did it offer him for his loss? is it a, reimburse all expenses associated with the missing pet. b, $500 credit for any future flight. two round-trip tickets anywhere around the world? or c -- please write your answers on the board. delta claims the dog actually broke out of its cage and ran away. anna, your answer? >> c. two round-trip tickets. john? >> a. >> reimbursed all expenses. mary, a. the answer is a. john, you were right, and mary, you were right as well. bp released this video showing the massive oil leak in the
1:54 am
gulf. the question is, how much oil is leaking? 160,000 gallons a day? b, 210,000 gallons? 380,000, or d, 500,000 gallons a day? >> i think nobody agrees what it is. >> there is actually sort of an agreement. >> just a guesstimate. >> just a guesstimate? all right. time's up. john? >> i want to go with d. >> 500,000 gallons. >> anna? c, 380,000. mary? b is 210,000. that's the answer. and the last one -- >> i got it. >> you got it. >> i know. i live there. >> this is where you put me over in the audience? i was talking to mary and going down to new orleans, to be a cabana boy.
1:55 am
all i have to do is rub a little oil on carville and we're good to go. >> john has one point. mary has two. anna, you have none. this is very sad. this is the final question. this is actually word scramble. if you're dyslexic, you're out. this is where south carolina governor mark sanford said he recently reunited with his argentine lover. here's the word scramble. >> we need a clue. >> what do you mean? it's a word scramble. i'll give you a clue. it's a state in america. >> oh, yeah, yeah. i'm on. >> so sad i have to give you that. john says florida. anna says florida. you say florida jack? >> i said tiger woods' mattress. >> the answer, of course, is florida. there you go. the winner is mary matalin. and you win-a donation was based
1:56 am
off the website to a charity, one of the charities on the website. >> oh, good. >> what did second place get? >> i want jack. >> you can have jack. >> we'll be in the pool house. don't worry, me, you, nancy grace. >> jack has more than 1 million followers on twitter? more than me. probably more than britney spears. >> because i'm america's sweetheart. >> he is america's sweetheart. the reason we have jack is he's up for a raise and we don't really want to give him a raise. so we figure we'll put him in the audience and he won't ask us for more money. we want to thank you john leguizamo, anna deveare smith and mary matalin. thank you very much.
1:57 am
-- captions by vitac -- www.vitac.com while i was building my friendships, my family, while i was building my life, my high cholesterol was contributing to plaque buildup in my arteries. that's why my doctor prescribed crestor. she said plaque buildup in arteries is a real reason to lower cholesterol. and that along with diet, crestor does more than lower bad cholesterol, it raises good. crestor is also proven to slow
1:58 am
the buildup of plaque in arteries. crestor isn't for everyone, like people with liver disease, or women who are nursing, pregnant, or may become pregnant. simple blood tests will check for liver problems. you should tell your doctor about other medicines you are taking, or if you have muscle pain or weakness. that could be a sign of serious side effects. while you've been building your life, plaque may have been building in your arteries. ask your doctor if crestor can help and go to crestor.com to get a free trial offer. announcer: if you can't afford your medication, astrazeneca may be able to help.
1:59 am

82 Views

info Stream Only

Uploaded by TV Archive on